This week, I saw Avatar. At the risk of being redundant, it truly was an amazing visual experience. But I kinda hated it. For the first hour and a half, I just kept thinking, "This would be awesome if it were a silent movie." I wanted to be able to take in the beauty of that made-up land -- it was like watching a Planet Earth episode on acid -- without the awful dialogue distorting it (a personal favorite: "If there is a hell, you should go there for some R&R after a tour on Pandora"). For the rest of the movie, I vacillated between irritation and amusement. It was Disney meets Heart of Darkness, and it didn't work. Avatar tried to send a big message about colonialism and environmentalism and the rights of indigenous people and yet the savior of Pandora was white guy Jake Sully, who manipulates the Na'vi's history and religious beliefs to spring them to action. Give me a break. Plus, watching James Cameron's ego-stroking via gratuitous violence and 30 extra, should've-been-edited minutes was annoying. And, the reused 3D glasses grossed me out, but I'll admit that now I'm just being picky.
In other happenings, Haiti was devastated by an earthquake, and I feel disgustedly helpless. I've noticed that despite the continuous news coverage (a Haiti Earthquake Relief link is even on Dictionary.com), it is hard to talk about with other people. What can you say besides truisms like 'it's so tragic'? Talking about it implicitly brings responsibility. We know we should help and do something and speaking the tragedy aloud makes our unspoken obligations hang heavy in the air until somebody starts talking about Avatar or something equally banal. What do to, what to do? Oh sure, we donated money, but a reality check tells us that it isn't doing anybody in Haiti any good yet. Pat Robertson seems to have it figured out. He boomeranged any guilt and/or responsibility right back on the Haitians. He is either brilliant or a despicable fool. My money's on the latter, but it seems as though Patty's money is safe either way; he probably won't be giving any to help the relief effort. Not unless those heathens repent -- live on the 700 Club! Hmm. An Anglo-American manipulating the history and religion of a poor nation to further his own agenda. Sounds familiar. Maybe James Cameron can direct a movie version.
Rose,
ReplyDeleteHere is a response to Pat Robertson's ridiculous statement from Donald Miler (author). It's from a christian perspective but encouraging to see that even Christians think he's CRAZY!!
www.donmilleris.com (should be the first post)
If you go all the way down to the bottom of his post, he has a response from the CBN network and then his reponse to them.
Scott
BTW i still haven't seen AVATAR!
hey rose this is some great stuff i dont know what it means but it was good!!! Good stuff will be reading your blog for now on!! Love Your Uncle Gmela
ReplyDeleteHello cousin here at your moms celebrating my dad's 56 birthday and your mom had me read your blog!!! Love it you are funny and witty will be reading it for now on!!!! Love your cousin Aliah
ReplyDelete